Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Father's Day Strawberry Cake
I wish I could take full credit for creating this recipe.
It was so delicious, I think everyone had seconds.
I rarely put whipped cream on desserts, but it made this extra-fun and -tasty.
Strawberry Summer Cake
Adapted slightly from Smitten Kitchen, which adapted slightly from Martha Stewart
6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk (I used Silk coconut milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Butter a 10-inch pie pan, 9-inch deep-dish pie pan, or 9- or 10-inch springform or cake pan. (I used a 9-inch springform. This cake does not work in a standard 9-inch pie pan; it will overflow.)
3. In a large bowl, beat butter and just under 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add flour, baking powder and salt, mixing until just smooth.
4. Pour into prepared pan. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
5. Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake cake until starting to brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes.
6. Cake can be stored at room temperature, loosely covered.