Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Apple-Cinnamon Scones: How I got my husband to eat cooked fruit
This recipe is modified from Grandma Johnson's Scones. I first made these back in February, thought about blogging them, and didn't. No wonder I can't seem to find it when I want to pass it on to people.
This recipe makes a lot, but they never last long in my house. You can also divide the dough and make a couple different types of scones.
(makes 12 large scones)
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp baking soda
4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 apple, minced
2 tsp cinnamon
1. In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
4. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, cinnamon and salt. Cut in the butter. Stir the sour cream mixture, egg and apple into the flour mixture until just moistened.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly.
6. Roll or pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick round. Cut into 12 wedges, and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
7. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom.