Mr. CookingOnSkates loves Kraft mac 'n' cheese. I can eat that, but strongly prefer any homemade version. Although I forgot to take photos until after friends and I had devoured this (truth: I ate about half by myself) this was tasty enough that I'd like to share the recipe as I prepared it.
The original, for reference: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/04/macaroni-cheese/
Pro tip: use one large pot for all steps to minimize dishes. If you've got one that can go in the oven, a bonus!
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese (adapted from Pioneer Woman)
1 box (3 cups) wheat pasta
1 egg, Beaten
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 3/4 cups milk
8 oz sharp white cheddar, grated
2 oz sharp cheddar, grated
Ground black pepper
1. Cook pasta in a large pot until al dente. Drain.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg.
3. In the large pot, melt butter. Then sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook for five minutes, whisking constantly.
4. Pour in milk and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
5. Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.
Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
Add in white cheddar and stir to melt.
Add seasoned salt and pepper to taste.
6. Pour in drained, cooked pasta and stir to combine.
7. Top with extra cheddar and a sprinkle of seasoned salt. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.