Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Cinnamon Chip Wheat Scones with Vanilla Glaze
I'm not a big fan of icing or glazes, but this glaze is fantastic and sweetens up the slightly dry wheat scones. Every scone I make is a modification of this original recipe, so feel free to change it up with what you have in your cabinet!
Cinnamon Chip Wheat Scones
modified from AllRecipes.com
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
2 cups wheat flour
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup cinnamon chips
1 tsp cinnamon
1. In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda, and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a large rimmed baking sheet.
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, cinnamon and salt.
4. Cut in the butter.
5. Stir the sour cream mixture and egg into the flour mixture until just moistened. Mix in the cinnamon chips.
6. Press dough into rimmed baking sheet.
7. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until starting to brown.
8. Cool. Cut into triangles. Glaze if desired.
scaled down from AllRecipes.com
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/4 tsp milk
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp butter
1. Melt butter. Mix in all other ingredients.