When my mother-in-law called to make plans for Father's Day dinner, she asked me to make a hearty side with rice, broccoli, cheese, something like that. She didn't mean it literally, but I took it literally and ran with it. It turned out tasty enough that I wish I wouldn't have left all the leftovers with her. This makes a TON.
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
Modified from AllRecipes
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
3 cups brown rice (cooked in 7.5 cups water)
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can condensed cream of celery soup
1 bag sharp cheddar cheese
1 bag mild cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, put rice in water to cook.
2. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter. Add both bags broccoli and continue to cook until thawed. Mix in both cans of soup and bag of sharp cheddar.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Keep cooking skillet mixture until all cheese is melted through. Then mix that with the half-cooked rice and water that's still in the pot. It'll be kinda goopy.
5. Spread all that in a lasagna pan. Top with the mild cheddar cheese.
6. Bake until the middle is set and cheese is brown.